You know that old saw about stopping to smell the roses? Photography can be something like that, except you lean in with your lens, absorbing all the details. Suddenly there appear all those wonderful bits of life and texture that on regular day are as invisible as the quantum world.
Weekly Photo Challenge: Convergence II
When functions Converge: When your rain gauge also becomes your thermometer.
(Typical Arkansas fall weather – 15 degrees F two weeks ago, mid-70s today.)
More convergences we liked:
Weekly Photo Challenge: Converge
This week’s WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge cue is “converge.” The top convergence was most unfortunate. The tree is 70 feet high – give or take a foot or two – so rescue of this remote-controlled plane is unlikely. The bottom shot shows the moon, Mars and Antares somewhat close to converging on a single line back in September.
- Other convergences we liked this week:
Weekly Photo Challenge: Contrasts
This week’s photo challenge is all about contrasts. We loved how the straight white-clad trunks of these birches contrasts with the wild maze of soft green early June foliage near Bayfield, Wisconsin.
Other of this week’s contrasts we liked:
Weekly Photo Challenge: Extra, extra
There were big two extras in this photo: the size of the cinnamon roll and Aunt Betty’s delighted expression at seeing the giant pastry (and the gentle teasing from everyone else at the table.)
And an earlier extra. Was trying to photo the ducks and found the accidental bald eagle in the image. The white tail feathers and head are backlight to the left side of the image in the trees.
A cast of extras with starring roles:
- Hummingbird: http://sarazancotti.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/weekly-photo-challenge-extra-extra-1/
- Morning: http://whymatters.me/2014/06/13/weekly-photo-challenge-extra-extra/
- Please don’t feed the bears (your children): http://bumblepuppies.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/feeding-the-bears-insults-my-intelligence/
- A swan, with extras: http://esengasvoice.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/weekly-photo-challenge-extra-extra/
- Surprise on the lobstah pots: http://myencorelifeinfocus.wordpress.com/2014/06/13/weekly-photo-challenge-extra-extra/
Weekly photo challenge: Split-second story
This split-second story comes from the bottom of its hand-lettered heart.
Weekly photo challenge: Twist
This week’s photo challenge is twist. The rays of this wild purple coneflower seem be slowly unfurling — with a twist — in the shadows of the Ouachita Mountain woodlands.
Other twists we liked:
- Being a tourist in one’s own city: http://cardinalguzman.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/twist-tourist-in-your-own-city/
- A photographer being photographed: http://mittenedhands.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/twist/
- Twists of all sorts: http://sfchapman.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/weekly-photo-challenge-twist/
- Colorful twist: http://pilvipouta.wordpress.com/2014/05/24/twist/
- Arboreal dance: http://hopethehappyhugger.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/weekly-photo-challenge-twist/
- Fern: http://justanothernatureenthusiast.org/2014/05/23/twist-weekly-photo-challenge/
Weekly photo challenge: Monument
This week’s photo challenge is titled “Monument.” Here is our monument to spring in the Arkansas Ouachita mountains: All of 5 inches tall including stem, this crested iris is getting ready to unfurl its flag.
Other monuments we liked:
- Monument to Dad: http://maryjmelange.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/at-ease-soldier/
- Monuments to Boston and US history: http://quotidianhudsonriver.com/2014/04/11/4-11-14-weekly-photo-challenge-monument/
- Global monuments: http://anewlifewandering.com/2014/04/11/monuments-around-the-world/
- An ageless monument seen through the eyes of an 8-year-old: http://bellabelle1.wordpress.com/2014/04/11/weekly-photo-challenge-monument/
- A monument to conservation: http://dewetswild.com/2014/04/11/monument/
- A story of Astoria, Ore.: http://ceenphotography.com/2014/04/11/wordpress-weekly-photo-challenge-astoria-column/
Weekly Photo Challenge: Window
This week’s challenge is window. While on photo safari this morning (read: walking around the woods, camera/s in hand looking for something to shoot) I came across an awakening colony of red imported fire ants. This mound was too near to our brand new popup greenhouse for comfort. The air temperature was warming well into the 50s after a week that began in the single digits. Because of cold, cold ground, some workers in the colony were was just beginning to forage, but the bulk of the ants were huddled together in creepy writhing balls. The camera and an 8x loupe became a window into their lives. (At least before laying down a ring of Amdro.)
Other challenge entries we liked:
- At the San Diego Library: http://shareandconnect.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/weekly-photo-challenge-window/
- Interesting variety of windows, and an equally interesting comment on the UK’s 18th century window tax: http://ledrakenoir.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/false-windows-or-outlook/
- A familiar image to many in the US this week, a snowed over window: http://babsjeheron.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/music-to-my-ears-polar-vortex-be-damned/ See also, http://upwoods.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/snowy-window-synchronicity/
- Windows in London: http://londoncorrespondent.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/weekly-photo-challenge-window/
- A window into our past, present and future : http://anupturnedsoul.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/through-the-window/
Weekly photo challenge: Beginning
This week’s photo challenge, “beginning,” is an excellent way to start the year. Our entry represents the beginning of a new cycle for our native dogwood trees. These buds are just awaiting spring’s arrival. (The beginning of spring seems like a long way away when the wind chill is in the single digits. Brrrrr.)
Other beginnings we liked this week:
- Mysterious path: http://lonelytravelog.com/2014/01/05/weekly-photo-challenge-beginning/
- Lilies: http://illuminatingtheinvisible24.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/beginning/
- Baby feet will eventually take baby steps: http://thehomeyliving.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/weekly-photo-challenge-beginning/
- A fledgling: http://inkhammer.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/wordpress-photo-challenge-beginning/
- A tiny tendril: http://thatslight.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/weekly-photo-challenge-beginning/
- Signs of a new beginning: http://heidrunjaenchen.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/weekly-photo-challenge-beginning/