March 2, 2013
Many thanks to http://janalinesworldjourney.wordpress.com/ for the Liebster award nomination! (Apologies for the more than one-month delay in posting this.)
With the award comes the following responsibilities.
A. Post the award image in the blog. Check!
B. Must post 11 random facts about one’s self (Check!):
- Optimistic and realistic.
- Sucker for Peter Max’s art.
- Loves walking, running.
- Sometimes think: “how did I get here?”
- Among my favorite races: Forego’s come-from-behind win in the 1976 Marlboro Cup.
- Love road trips.
- Fan of Bordeaux wines.
- Miss my Thai family.
- Miss having free time.
- First TV memory: Colonel Bleep cartoons.
- Meatless Fridays are hard!
C. Answer questions posed by the nominator (Check!):
- What one thing you miss about being a kid? Being able to create art without any commercial or professional goal.
- If you could go into any fictional world, which one would you choose? Inishfree – the setting of the movie “The Quiet Man.”
- What is the most number of blankets you’ve ever had on your bed? 1
- If you were given $1,000,000 to give to a cause, which cause would it be? Catholic Charities
- What’s your favorite scripture? Too many to name.
- What makes you smile? Watching family and friends succeed in life’s challenges. And kittens.
- Who is a person that you admire and why? My mother for her big heart, love and perseverance.
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? Right where we are now.
- If you could change one thing about anything what would it be? Instill more optimism.
- What are you most thankful for at this moment? My family.
Nov. 23, 2012
Those good folks over at the Biltrix did it again — tagging us as part of BlogAThon. Biltrix actually did this sometime, ago, but we’re playing catchup. Well, actually we were intimidated by the number of things involved and procrastinated. A lot. This thing has a lot of moving parts.
1. Each person tagged must post 11 things about him- or herself.
2. They must also answer the 11 questions the “tagger” has set for them.
3. They must create 11 more questions to ask bloggers they have decided to tag.
4. They must then choose 11 bloggers and tag them in their post.
5. These “lucky” bloggers must then be told.
6. No tag backs.
Eleven things about one of us at the Interface:
- Thinks the Dash-80 and SR71 are the best planes ever.
- Had cats named after mythical or historical figures.
- Took Veronica as a confirmation name.
- Needs to read more.
- MUST … HAVE … COFFEE.
- Dreams in English, French and German.
- Chicken saagwala please.
- Likes running.
- Am grateful.
- Introverted, but pretends not to be.
- Used to work in radio.
Questions for me to answer:
- Have you ever read a dialogue by Plato? Yes. Thank God my alma mater still required philosophy.
- Do you know any foreign languages? Yes. Speaking them is a whole ‘nother story.
- How good are you at math? I can spell it.
- Are you a convert? Nope.
- Would you like to renew your baptismal promises? Yes.
- Do you reject Satan? I do.
- And all his works? I do.
- And all his empty promises? I do.
- Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth? I do.
- Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary was crucified, died, and was buried, rose from the dead, and is now seated at the right hand of the Father? I do.
- Do you believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting? I do.
So, now comes the part where we get to ask questions.
- Rock, paper or scissors?
- If you could meet one of the 12 apostles, who would it be and why?
- What was your first car?
- Is ketchup an appropriate condiment for hot dogs?
- If you won $100,000 today, what would you do with it?
- What country would you most like to visit?
- What sports figure do you admire most and why?
- If you could choose an object that would represent who you are, what would it be?
- Is religion important in your life?
- Why do you blog?
- Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
And now the 11 taggees:
- Memos from me
- Catholic Mom in Hawaii
- Grandma’s Musings
- Always Catholic
- Button’s Blog
- Confessions of a Thirty-Something Cybertronian
- Life as I know it
- Minima Maxima Sunt
- My Hope Box
- By the Pen
- Musings at 85
Nov. 17, 2012
Thanks to the Biltrix for nominating us for the Food for Thought Award! Once again, we are humbled by the generosity shown in nominating us for an award that has two of our favorite words: thought and food!
The rules for the Food for Thought Award are:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Thank the one(s) who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- Share seven of your favorite Bible passages. For extra points (Perhaps our Father in heaven will award them.), explain why each of these seven passages is a favorite.
- Nominate seven other bloggers you admire and enjoy! Why seven? In the Bible, seven symbolizes completeness.
- Inform each person that you have nominated him or her.
Seven favorite passages:
1. Genesis 18:24-33 –– This passage is a larger-than-life demonstration of God’s patience and mercy and Abraham is the exemplar of man’s need to understand God. It’s a tender, intimate and almost funny, exasperating episode. It’s like watching an exchange between a parent and a 3-year-old who lets loose with an unrelenting stream of “whys” after every answer.
This is one of my favorite passages to proclaim as a lector — listeners really connect with Abraham. They admire his nerve in questioning God; cringe at little at his persistence in the face of The Almighty, and feel the relief when God not only doesn’t swipe away this annoying gadfly, but also assures him of His mercy.
2. 1 Kings 19:9-18 — God doesn’t need to be big and rumbly. Sometimes he whispers when he calls. How Elijah finds God in a “silent sound.”
3. Luke 1:26-38 — The Annunciation. A beautiful moment in history and our salvation.
4. Jeremiah 20:7-9 — God is so big in Jeremiah, he cannot contain Him, no matter the price.
5. Proverbs 8:30-31 — Wisdom takes delight in the human race.
6. Phillippians 4:5-7P — The Lord is near, so don’t be anxious.
7. 2 Samuel 22:7 — “In my distress I called out: LORD! I cried out to my God; From his temple he heard my voice, my cry reached his ears.” Not only is the Lord near, He’s also listening.
Blogs we nominate:
- Does Facebook count? Then Diocese of Little Rock: https://www.facebook.com/cdolr
Again, we are honored with another peer blogging award. Biltrix has nominated us as a thought-provoking blog. Thanks Biltrix!
We are humbled to be considered new media agents provocateur.
Here are the award rules:
- Post the award on your blog
- Thank the one who nominated you and link back to their blog
- Nominate 7-12 other bloggers you admire and enjoy!
- Share 7 things about yourself
- Inform each person that you have nominated them
Seven bloggers we enjoy and admire!
- Phil Lanoue Photography – Photojournalist who has translated his skills from the sidelines to the wilderness.
- Wind Against Current – Beautiful images, thoughtful posts.
- Beech Creek Project – Walking, biking, hiking the Ouachitas, from the Oklahoma side.
- Stephen Kelly Creative – Wonderful imagery and a great place be introduced to new artists/art
- Lost Apple – Insights into a novelist’s work.
- Canadian Hiking Photography – Breathtaking beauty in pixels and prints.
- Bad Catholic – Catholicism with ‘tude and ideas well expressed.
And the hard part. Those seven things.
- Just discovered Joan Osborne’s 2008 cover of Jump Little Children’s haunting, meditative and provocative “Cathedrals.”
- Doesn’t eat enough fish.
- Would love to dig around the Crater of Diamonds State Park again.
- Loves history.
- Lives in Petriculanus.
- Finds inspiration in hagiographies.
- Needs a vacation. Badly.
Thanks to Modes of Flight for nominating us for the Super Sweet Blogging Award! We are grateful for the honor!
Rules for this award include:
• Thank the super sweet blogger who made the nomination.
• Nominate a baker’s dozen of other bloggers:
- Beech Creek Project
- Russel Ray Photos
- Stephen Kelly Creative
- Cee’s Life Photography Blog
- A Meditative Journey
- Rural Route Runner
- Nature in the Burbs
- Mezzophonically Speaking
- A Thoughtful Paper
- Even a Girl Like Me
And answer five questions:
- Cookie or cake? Cookies
- Chocolate or Vanilla? Both
- What is your favourite sweet treat? Homemade apple pie
- When do you crave sweet things the most? Morning
- If you had a sweet nickname, what would it be? No idea!
Thanks to the folks at Biltrix for nominating us for the Very Inspiring Blog Award! And humble apologies for dawdling on acceptance. (These posts take much more thought than the typical post and brain cells have been a little tired of late.) However, the nomination is truly an embarrassment of riches, for as we wrote this post, we were nominated for another award by Modes of Flight (post coming soon.)
- Display the award logo on your blog.
- Link back to the person who nominated you.
- State seven things about yourself.
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for this award and link to them.
- Notify those bloggers of the nomination and the award’s requirements.
We’d like to nominate the following 15 bloggers for this award:
Now the hard part. Seven things about one’s self.
1. Mom and Dad. The best teachers in the world.
2. Dr. Amélie Kuhrt, FBA; and Dr. Wendy Davies, OBE, FBA, opened my eyes to what good historical research really is.
3. Best sports moment: riding around the track at Oaklawn Park on a retired racehorse.
4. Has a really hard time coming up with seven things.
5. Guilty pleasure: Top Gear UK.
6. Misses the days of the Apollo program.
7. Likes okra.
Thanks to Biltrix for nominating us for the Reader Appreciation Award!
Now the rules for accepting this award are as follows:
- Add a picture of the award to your blog post.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and include a link to their blog.
- Nominate 5-10 other Bloggers and inform those selected that they have been nominated.
We would like to nominate:
and if it’s not against the rules, Biltrix deserves to be nominated for a second one!
We are so honored to have been nominated for two blogging awards by Windagainstcurrent.com and Biltrix.com, two truly outstanding blogs. We’re still amazed and perpetually surprised that people stop and read, but are glad to be in a blogging community that offers so much inspiration, in so many ways.
Thanks to Windagainstcurrent for the nominating us for the Illuminating Blogger Award and to Biltrix, who also nominated us for that and the One Lovely Blogger honor.
The Illuminating Blogger Award asks the honoree to share one random thing about the blogger, and nominate five others.
Random thing: Not very good at driving a stick shift.
Would like to nominate both Biltrix and Windagainstcurrent for the Illuminating award, but someone got to them first! The five nominees are:
- 3rd Culture Children – Sharing life in the foreign service.
- Nature in the ‘burbs – Fellow Jerseyan who is taking time to appreciate nature “under our noses.”
- Even a girl like me – Living by the power of Grace.
- Portraits of Wildflowers – Knock-your-socks-off photography.
- Beech Creek Project – Adventures of the blogger and Paco in the wilds of Oklahoma and surrounding areas.
The One Lovely Blogger Award asks that the blogger to offer seven random things. Here goes:
- Loves sailing.
- Hasn’t finished that master’s thesis yet.
- Hope to one day to shoot and post good photos of birds, especially the neighborhood wild turkeys.
- Cradle Catholic.
- Has tried foods made with insects and acorns.
- Uses Mac and PC.
- Doesn’t know very much about much, but sure wants to learn.
Finally, we’d like to thank everyone who comes to visit. We were tickled to hit the 10,000 hit milestone recently and are grateful to you all.