What’s left when the tree’s life is gone.
Don’t know what it is, but it does have lots of hair. Found growing in the thin soil covering the striated shales of Round Mountain.
Below, a photo taken this past week of the keynote speaker at a conference on water law and policy. Terribly underexposed, very soft and virtually unusable for print. However, there was something “painterly” about this photojournalistic failure that reminded me of John Singer Sargent or the brooding and dark portraiture of Rembrandt. (It’s doubtful either of them would pose their subject with a PowerPoint clicker in hand.)
This week’s photo challenge theme is “renewal.” It’s a hard theme in autumn when Nature is preparing for her winter’s sleep. She did leave some reminders of spring — that great time of renewal. Today, vibrant violets dotted the shaley, leaf-strewn slopes.
Far more interesting takes on the theme can be found here:
- Love: http://shimmeringgrains.com/2012/11/10/weekly-photo-challenge-renewal/
- Snow covered: http://esengasvoice.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/weekly-photo-challenge-renewal/
- Church at night: http://cardinalguzman.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/weekly-photo-challenge-renewal/
- Rainbow renewal: http://annarashbrook.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/weekly-photo-challenge-renewal/#comment-1182
And of course, the BIG photo challenge page:
A big thanks to Ensenga’s Voice for nominating us for the One Lovely Blog Award! We’re honored to be nominated!
The rules that come with accepting this nomination are the following:
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post (and put in the logo);
2. Share seven things about yourself;
3. Nominate 15 or so bloggers you admire;
4. Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know.
The seven things:
- I’ll take those black jellybeans if you don’t want them.
- Likes haiku.
- Misses the beach.
- Sort of a Luddite.
- Believes in the four food groups: Pizza, fried chicken, mac n’ cheese and bacon.
- Mets fan.
- Has weak spot for 70s pop music.
And 15 bloggers we admire:
Thanks to all the bloggers out there who share what is important an continue to inspire all of us with words, images and action!
Nature is quite good at geometry.
Some favorites so far from this week:
- Hexagonal geometry: http://markrmilan.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry-3/
- Three-point geometry: http://chrisbreebaart.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry-2/
- Historical geomtery: http://suellewellyn2011.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry-and-the-incas/
- Circular: http://thewanderlustgene.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/beginning-with-a-circle/
- Gettin’ linear with it. (This one reminds me of Tubbs in “League of Gentlemen”: “Line and lines and lines and lines.” http://edithlevyphotography.com/2012/11/03/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry/
- At a snail’s pace: http://windagainstcurrent.com/2012/11/03/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry-take-three/
- Step by step: http://jugorum.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry/
- Retail geometry: http://jumbledcontentsofmyhead.wordpress.com/2012/11/03/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry/
- Of Paris and Manchester: http://photographworks.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/weekly-photo-challenge-geometry/
- Water and sky: http://westseventhfreelance.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/weekly-photo-challenge-2/
And the WPC mother page: